About The 1822 Tour
The 1822 Tour of Charleston will be slower and more focused. Your guide will dig a little deeper into the architecture, commerce, banking, and religious influences of Charleston. The conditions and lives of the enslaved, the slave trade, and the events concerning Denmark Vesey’s planned slave result will be tour. The events in Charleston will be discussed within the broader historical context of the United States.
Some topics addressed on this tour:
- The architecture of Robert Mills and its relationship to historical context
- Denmark Vesey and his 5 ‘lieutenants’
- Key past issues and events, Panic of 1819 and the Missouri Question
- Religious life and churches in 1822 Charleston
- A sense of international contexts, such as 19th-century Caribbean pirates